Directions and Contents
- USB charger cable (white)
- USB data cable (black)
- Wrist strap with stand
- Printed manual
4 Micro SD Card Slot
7 Headphone Port
8 USB Port
9 Charging/Aux Input Port
11 Scan Reverse
12 Loop File / Play All
14 Delete File
15 Scan Forward
QUICK START GUIDE
- Charge before use. (see charging instructions)
- Turn device on using ON/OFF slider button (2).
- Press SCAN (13) to begin FM Scan Forward.
- Press RECORD (16) to record (requires SD card). Press RECORD (16) again to stop recording.
- Turn device off using ON/OFF slider button (2).
POWER & CHARGINGSBox is powered by a rechargeable battery. To charge the device use the provided USB charging cable (WHITE) to connect to a USB power source. This could be a computer with a USB power, USB power strip or USB battery pack for quick mobile power. When charging the flashlight LED will show red and will turn off once complete. To plug the device into a AC power outlet, you will need to use a USB to AC power adapter (not provided). When SBox is powered on you will see a battery icon to the left of the display indicating battery life.
MODESTo change modes press the MODE button (17). When switching modes, you will hear a verbal queue to indicate each mode as follows. It may take a moment to switch modes.
- SCANNING FM
This mode is used for conducting spirit box sweep sessions using the FM band.
- SCANNING AM
This mode is used for conducting spirit box sweep sessions using the AM band.
- LINE IN
This mode allows you to plug in an audio device to use the SBox as an external wired speaker. Use the provided 3.5 audio-to-microUSB cable to connect another compatible audio device.
This mode allows you to connect a bluetooth audio device to use the SBox as an external wireless speaker.
This mode allows you to play recorded spirit box sessions and other audio files on the memory card or from a USB drive.
SCANNINGPress SCAN (13) to start and stop the sweep.
To change sweep direction press REVERSE (11) to sweep in the reverse direction or FORWARD (15) to sweep forward. If a sweep is already active you must press SCAN (13) again to stop the current sweep and resume in the desired direction.
Press RECORD (16) to record sweep audio.
RECORDTo record sweep or EVP audio, you must first insert a micro SD card into the port at the top of the device (4). Make sure to face it in the proper direction to insert properly. It will click into place.
To record radio sweep audio, first start the sweep in the direction you prefer. Once the sweep has begun press RECORD (16). A ‘SD’ icon will appear on the screen to indicate it is recording to the SD card.
To stop recording press RECORD (16) again. Stop recording after each session to save the file properly. As soon as you stop the recording, it will play the latest recording for review.
While recording you can start, pause or change direction on the sweep as you wish.
To record EVPs or voice only, press MODE (17) to advance to ‘Playback’ mode, then press record. This will begin recording from a built-in microphone. You cannot use the radio sweep in this mode.
To access recorded files you can do either:
- Remove SD card from the memory slot (4) and insert it into a computer using any micro SD card reader.
- Plug SBox directly into a computer via the USB data port (8) using the provided USB cable (normal size USB on both ends).
PLAYBACKTo play audio files from the SD card press MODE (17) to ‘Playback’.
Press FORWARD (15) or BACK (11) to select a file. Sbox will play the audio file. Each file is indicated by a number in sequence.
Press SCAN (13) again to pause playback.
Press FILE (12) to loop play the current audio file. Press FILE again to play continue through playing all files.
To transfer or view the files on the SBox SD card, plug the USB data cable (BLACK) into a computer. The SBox display will show 'PC' and a drive should show active on your computer momentarily.
UPDATING YOUR FIRMWARE VERSION4 STEPS to update. It's easy!
- Just download the file and put it on an SD card.
- Insert that card into your SBox.
- SBox will auto-update itself and reboot.
- Remove the file from the card and go investigating.
- Download the version file you prefer on a desktop computer or laptop. Once downloaded, you should find the file in your default downloads folder or desktop. The file is called 'jl_690x.bfu'.
- Insert a Micro SD card into the SBox (max 32GB).
- Turn SBox on.
- Plug the SBox into your computer via the black USB cable (male/male). Display will show 'PC' when it is connected.
- A new drive will popup on your computer.
- Copy the downloaded SBox firmware file to the SBox SD card.
- Unplug the USB from the SBox.
- Eject the SD card from SBox and put it right back in.
- SBox will update on it's own and reboot itself. The screen may show a few weird dashes while updating. Once you hear 'SBox' again, it is now updated.
- Plug the USB cable back into the SBox and remove the firmware update file from the SD card. The is necessary to keep it from updating every time you access the SD card.
- Remove the USB cable and go investigating with your updated SBox!